Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remember Seinfeld's puffy shirt?

About a week ago I saw that Vogue had released some new patterns for a holiday collection. I paged through the new releases and found four shirt patterns I really liked that I could see myself wearing.

For whatever reason, Vogue 9059 was one of them.

Vogue 9059
I think it's the golden yellow that got me. Or maybe the fancy sleeve application? I am a sucker for sleeves if you remember.

In walking through Hancock's, I found this pretty melon colored mystery polyester for 80% off the sticker price. It was $.99 a yard! So I got three yards and picked up the new Vogue patterns and off I went.

I had a few free hours to myself last night (my mom took the boys to dinner) so I started in on this blouse. I managed to get it cut out and start in on the front before I realized this was going to be a wadder. Instead of stopping midway, I really wanted to see what it would look like with these sleeves, so I put the rest of it together, albeit in an abbreviated way.
Yikes, look how hideous the fabric hangs!
Check out how big the sleeve piece is. This fabric is a full 60" wide and the pattern piece doesn't even fit on it, you have to turn it to fit the grainline.  Also, this is my kitchen island, you can see how big the sleeve is!!

All I can say is YUCK.

The sleeves are interesting, but they're gigantic. You could remove six or eight inches of volume and still have an interesting sleeve.


Right off the bat, I messed up the hidden placket. I've sewn them in before and had no problems but for some reason this fabric gave me fits and when I was done I realized I was missing the buttonhole shield. That's when I decided to make this as a muslin so to see if it was even worth it.


It was doomed. Last night I still was optimistic and thought maybe I would make it again in a better fabric with less sleeve volume but in the light of day this top is so bad I'm not sure I have the guts to try again.

Onwards and upwards, I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS